Wednesday, 9 November 2011

Where do I begin?

Sneak peek
Wow! It's been whole month since I lasted posted on blog.  This is just a sneak peek of what's been happening in our new home. I keep feeling like there's a mountain to climb to catch up on all that's been going on, so I've decided to start with a sneak peek, and climb the hill one little bit at a time. So here's a brief summary, to get the news going again. We have just been so busy, that I just haven't had the time to post - sorry! 
We got the keys at last, and moved into our new home on the 15th October - almost a month ago. We didn't  have the internet for a week before that, plus for two weeks after that. I realised just how precious the internet is, and wonder how I ever coped without it! I am please to report that we now have ultra high speed internet, and I'm enjoying it tremendously. The skype calls to to my mom and friends are a real lifeline that keep me going on the lonely or tough days. Moving countries can be quite stressful - but more on that another day.
All in all our move went well.  Here are a few pics of the moving-in day...
Our road

Our garage and garden gate
We prepared a "path" in the garden to avoid mud trails into the lounge.
View from spare bedroom balcony (neighbour's garden and across the street)

Beautiful sunrise
View from our bedroom window
Arne's excited face when we thought that was our truck...false alarm!
Wow - we only had 1 container when we left SA, but here are two!?
My work station, ticking off all 164 boxes off the list




The "Bed Challenge" Part 1
I say part 1, because this was only the first challenge of our long-awaited comfy bed from SA.  It wasn't a big deal though. The man in charge of the moving guys took one look at our staircase and said "Yes, it's a German staircase, we're going up the through the balcony", and within a tick all the guys were outside and the bed was in.  The next challenge came when we wanted to sleep that night, and then again when we decided to fix the problem...but you'll have to wait to hear about that :-) 




Not so clever, they packed our cd's in the shelves!
Progress...
What next?
So all in all we've been pretty busy. But doing what? To sum it up, unpacking, shopping (for shelves, and more) building furniture, studying and writing a German test, attending German language school, Arne working really hard at his new job, figuring out how things work (like the heating, trash removal, insurance, buses and trains, etc.) finding a good grocery store in the area, doing washing and ironing marathons, unpacking some more and building even more furniture. We thought that when we moved into our own place our lives would be back to normal. But so far it has been far from normal!  A real topsy turvy last few weeks to say the least.  Hence I love getting emails and news, to hear about normal life and keep up to date with what's going on with my friends - miss u guys!   Things are going well and we are very happy in our new home. I have been reminded by quite a few people that "Rome wasn't built in a day" :-) We are very blessed, and every day I walk home I appreciate the beautiful surroundings and wonderful new adventure.
I have loads more to tell, but still plenty of sorting out around the house to do, including some laundry this evening and cooking (signs of normal life returning :-) So I will leave you with a few more pics, and promise to post again soon.
One of the many items my dear husband has been building - thank you!
One of many trips to Ikea
Excellent invention! Shoe-brush type front door mat
 Brilliant for getting dirt and sand off shoes before entering the house. If only we had this for the children at the school where I used to teach. A must!I haven't seen these until now though.
Horray! Veggies at last. A simple but nutritiuos home-cooked meal. These days we celebate the small things :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment