Friday, 23 September 2011

Dust, dust and more dust!

In SA we were lucky enough to have a domestic helper once a week to do our cleaning.  We also had carpets in most of our house, so vacuuming once a week was (hopefully) enough.   However, the hayfever I had on a weekly basis was unexplained... until now ...

Since I’ve been doing the housework here in Germany, I’ve seen dust in a whole new light! Or should I say, I’ve been seeing far too much dust. Dust, dust and more dust!  Where is it all coming from?? I can see now why most the houses we looked at on our house-hunt were not carpeted.  Good thing our new home has wooden floors.  Cleaning isn’t always fun, but lately I get a strange satisfaction from seeing the amount of dust that collects in just one week in our apartment.  It’s like a competition – which room/week  will collect the most dust?!

This is dust from one week:
Yuck!
Here is dust from last week’s clean:
Ugh!
And the winner is....
Ew!
Here is dust from today's clean. Oh my gosh!  And it’s not as if it’s coming from outside, because the windows are generally kept closed.  It’s a mystery to me. 

And check out the final picture with dust from our bedroom alone! I cringe at the thought of how much dust is collecting on our bed and curtains on a daily basis!

At least doing my own cleaning, I know for sure it’s done properly, 
and it’s quite satisfying :-) ...Or perhaps just a ‘morbid fascination’?!

No comments:

Post a Comment